Thursday, May 19, 2011

Facebook: My thoughts, its purpose, and business uses.

Facebook is a social networking site that aims to put your face on the web. Back in the day I was on Myspace, as were many of my friends. As I got older and Myspace seemed to be riddled with ads, I decided to close my account since I never visited it anymore. The first time I saw Facebook was when my sister, who was in college at the time, was able to get an account because she had a ".edu" email address to register. At the time, I remember I could not create an account due to that fact. Once I was in high school it opened up to more people and I created account. Ever since then, I have had the same account and just upgraded my contact email to reflect my bgsu.edu address.

To me Facebook is how I connect to my friends and family. I usually will contact them through the site before I email them. I enjoy using the site and the fact that the site updates often with new features, even though some users despise the fact.

The purpose of Facebook, as I mentioned, is to make our social lives, online. When people go to a party, they can relive the moments of the party, they may or may not remember, on Facebook the next morning. Events can be planned with friends or the public and people can even sell items on Facebook's Marketplace. Chat functionality keeps people who choose to have their presence shown online in contact, and a messaging function is also available.

Businesses can use Facebook like any other person would. They can schedule events, advertise sales promotions, show their products, interact with customers, and even chat with them one on one.  While at my previous internship at Therma-Tru Doors, in Maumee, Ohio, the company rolled out their own Facebook page to advertise and keep in contact with customers and employees. Therma-Tru also utilizes Facebook to inform the public of its history and has an invitation to its main site to learn more. To see their site you can follow the link here.

No comments:

Post a Comment