Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Reddit - My thoughts, its purpose, and business uses.

Reddit is "The voice of the Internet -- news before it happens." Reddit contains user submitted news stories on its site. The site has a system of upvotes and downvotes which determine whether or not a story will reach the front page of Reddit. New submissions by a user can be found in the "new" tab. Most posts on Reddit contain clever titles to lure others into clicking on their submission. If those users like it they will upvote, if not the submission gets a downvote. Reddit also contains subreddits which are categories inside the site that users can post directly to, like Pics or Videos, so not all submissions are mashed together in one place. Reddit also has a "random" linkn that one can clikc to be taken to a random subreddit, which can yield some surprising results.


The main reason I go to Reddit is for the humorous submissions. I rarely post myself but enjoy lurking on the site often. If I had to pick between Facebook, Twitter, or Reddit, I would pick Reddit to visit daily. Most of the people on Reddit share the same geeky humor as I and can make some pretty ridiculous comics and memes which have me laughing for quite some time. Reddit also has a serious side with people sharing their life stories and looking for support from other redditors. I tend to shy away from those kinds of articles. Many submissions I enjoy are simply a picture that was taken at the right time and unintentionally becomes hilarious.

Reddit can be used for advertising or even creation of a subreddit for a company. People could post to that subreddit with questions, concerns, videos, pictures, or any other type of electronic media, and the company would be able to respond to them. Reddit also has an advertising section where verified users can post a title and URL of their ad. The site reminds those advertising that "A good title is important to the success of your campaign. reddit users are an intelligent, thoughtful group, and reward those who engage them".  If a business plays its cards right, Reddit can be an invaluable resource when it comes to advertising.

I had created my own subreddit a while back. If you go to reddit/r/BGSU you will see the subreddit I created.

No comments:

Post a Comment